The sporting council of the Automobile Club d’Italia – Italy’s national automobile club – has recommended immediate action against kart racer Luca Corberi, his father and the Lonato circuit following the behaviour of the pair at last weekend’s FIA karting world championship.
Corberi, who retired from the race, threw the bumper from his kart at Paolo Ippolito as his rival passed by. Video footage then showed Corberi and another person, believed to be his father Marco, physically attacking Ippolito in the paddock after the race.
Following a meeting today the ACI issued a statement confirming their “harsh and firm condemnation” of the events, video footage of which was widely shared on social media. The ACI said it intends to propose “the maximum sanction provided for by the regulations” including “the immediate suspension of the licenses of Luca Corberi, Marco Corberi and that of the circuit”. The Corberi family operates the Lonato circuit.
The ACI executive added it “reserves the right to take further initiatives” in relation to what it previously described as a “very serious episode”.
On Monday the 23-year-old racer issued a public statement apologising for his behaviour. BCrberi said he offered his licence to the stewards of the event, though they did not have the authority to take it away from him, and that he intends not to return to motor racing.
Don’t miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and