Home / Racing / Alex Zanardi moved to specialist facility to continue treatment · RaceFans

Alex Zanardi moved to specialist facility to continue treatment · RaceFans

Alex Zanardi

Alex Zanardi has been moved to a new facility to continue treatment for the head and facial injuries he sustained last month.

The former Formula 1 driver and two-times CART IndyCar champion was taken to the Santa Maria alle Scotte hospital near Siena after colliding with a truck during a handbike event on June 19th. The team treating him began reducing Zanardi’s level of sedation five days ago in order to bring him out of an artificially-induced coma.

In a statement released on Tuesday, the hospital confirmed Zanardi’s sedation had been suspended, allowing him to be transferred to a specialised recovery and rehabilitation centre.

The general manager of the Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Senese, Valtere Giovannini, said “our professionals remain at the disposal of this extraordinary person and his family for the further stages of clinical, diagnostic and therapeutic development, as always happens in these cases.”

“The athlete spent over a month in our hospital. He underwent three delicate surgical operations and showed a path of stability of his clinical conditions and vital parameters that allowed the reduction and suspension of sedation, and the consequent possibility of be able to be transferred to a facility for the necessary neuro-rehabilitation.”

Giovannini said Zanardi’s family had shown “extraordinary strength, a precious gift that will have to be a fundamental travel companion of the new path that begins today.”
 

Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and go ad-free

2020 F1 season

Browse all 2020 F1 season articles


Source link

Check Also

RaceFans Round-up: Two-day weekend format isn’t suitable for every grand prix

In the round-up: Following Formula 1’s experiment with a two-day race weekend, Mercedes team principal ...

Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *